Question
Posted by: Just me | 2011/12/19

Blood clot &  exercise

Hi. I am 42, female and need to loose alot of weight. I did start going to gym and eating healthy. I during that time did not really loose weight but I did not gain any either which I was happy about already. I then injured my foot and was on crutches for 3 weeks. Then I had a DVT in my left leg - below my knee. I was in hospital for 5 days and my Dr said she suspect''s that it was the combination of the injury and the Yazmine I was on that caused the clot. She advised me not to go to gym for at least 4 weeks and then start slowly. I have started again but find that I can only manage about 5 minutes on the spinningbike then my left leg cramps so much I have to get off as I do not want to injure myself again. I do stretch before and after. I have tried the treadmill too but that is even worse. I do have waterretention and the Dr prescibed Puresis - 1 in the morning - and Plenish K - 2 a day - for that. What exercise can I do that will help with weightloss but will not affect my leg in this way. I still eat healthy (allow myself 1 cheatday a month but not allowed to overdo the cheating eg. 1 milkshake not 3) and my weight has been the same since all this started.

I hate to pass the buck on any question, but I think trying to find a way around a medical problem is ultimately going to be defeating. I think your best option is to figure out the problem and treat it, because having had the clot, and the various complications around it, it's clear that the problem still persists.

Regarding weight loss, the good news (or least, the practically good thing) is that diet is far more effective in the early stages of weight loss than exercise, and so you can actually still do a great deal while you are not exercising. I find it interesting that despite your healthy diet, you have not lost weight, and that does suggest to me that you perhaps need to see a dietician and speak about what you're eating, when you're eating and how much you are eating, because being healthy has all these little nuances that sometimes get overlooked. So that would be the most powerful thing you can do.

In terms of the exercise and getting back into it, I don't nkow whether you have consulted a vascular specialist - I presume so, given that you had surgery, but in the rehab phases, whether or not you have, I'm not sure. There are also a number of supervised rehabilitation groups specifically for people who have had some kind of cardiovascular problems, where an expert in these conditions and exercise can assess, and this may also help. I'm not sure where you are, but I would hope that a doctor would be able to refer on to a cardiac disease unit of some kind?

But honestly, it's diet that will hold the biggest key to weight loss, so the dietician is going to be the most effective way to tackle your goals.

2
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2012/01/06

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2012/01/06

Reply to fitnessdoc