Question
Posted by: Marlise | 2005/12/09

BLOOD

Hi Doctor,

I was on holiday and noticed a few red spots in a bath tub which to me looked like blood. I tried to wipe it off with some tissue and noticed that it did not come off, even after spraying it with hot water and jik. The last people that occupied the the premises before me, was there the previous night. My biggest worry began after having a bath, when I started thinking about HIV. I had a cut on my foot and was worried that if it (the spots in the bathtub) contained HIV, can I contract the virus even though it seemed dry?

Many thanks

Dear Marlise
You have nothing to fear - only drops of wet blood will transfer HIV virus.

1
Posted by: M | 2005/12/09

I am not an expert but I am sure that you have nothing to worry about. The virus cannot suvive very long outside the body and it had to have been there for a long time cos first of all it was very dry and the last people checked out the night before. Plus if you couldn't clean it off the bath with Jik and hot water then surely it couldn't be blood - maybe it was paint or nail polish (red nail polish is a popular colour) or something.

Reply to M