Question
Posted by: lucyswan | 2003/02/20

blocked years from sinus?

I seem to get bouts of sinus congestion which blocks my left nostril, left ear channel, induces pain in the same eye and a tooth that has been root-canalled and crowned in the same side of the face. This happens on occasions. Have had an X-ray of the tooth to see if it's the cause, but all seems clear there, no remnant of root is visible, no swelling.
Can the sinus congestion do all that? I've on several occasions been given a course of antibiotics to clear it. Yes it does go, but after some months I'm back to square one.
What can be the cause? Is there any way to clear it permanently? Am suffering at present with same problem. Should i have a course of antibiotics again? Last occurance was in middle of december.

Lucyswan, it is definitely possible that it’s due to the sinusitis. Sinusitis is often the cause of unnecessary dental procedures.
If it hasn’t cleared up by the time you receive this reply (sorry I took so long – I’ve been sick for the last week. My specialist physician wanted to put me in hospital, but guess who’s afraid of hospitals? :-)), you will probably have to take a course of antibiotics. The trick is to find out whether it is just an infection or if there is an underlying allergy. If there really is no underlying infection, you will have to go for a limited scan of the sinuses to find out if there is no anatomical defect like a polyp, a skew nasal septum, etc. If it sounds like there is an underlying allergy, you will have to start taking preventative medicines – a nasal spray with or without an antihistamine. Good luck.

1
Posted by: anxious | 2003/02/21

I have chronic sinus problems. I usually only have my sinus infections in winter, but had one last week. I went to my GP because I started feeling worse and had continuous pain on the side of my head (which he said was sinus referral pain). He gave me an injection for my sinuses and prescribed antibiotics and a very good antihistamine/decongestant (Clarytine DOD) which is a long acting antihistamine. Now I'm fine. Maybe you do need another course of antibiotics, but also a good antihistamine/decongestant or a good nasal spray. I also often suffer from ear pain with my infections. Remember they're all linked, nose, ears and throat and even the chest, so it is possible to have a combination of any of these infections at the same time. Ask your docor about a good nasal spray or antihistamine.

Reply to anxious