Question
Posted by: Claire | 2007/03/26

Blocked Nose while running

I have a problem in that when I run my nose blocks up and eventually I can not even drink water and run because of it. It spoils my runs and tires me out. Is there a nasal spray I can use or something else I can do. I use to clear out my nose with a saline spray before I ran but my GP said that only a cortisone spray can be used over a long period that all the others cause nose problems.
I have tried to clear my throat and nasal passgaes while I run like you see many people do (I think they are reffered to as snot rockets and other disgusting yuck things) but I can not do it - hells bells I can't even spit........
How can I open my upper airways to make my running more pleasent?

Hi Claire

I must admit that I'm not 100% sure. I haven't heard of this before, unless the person is ill and therefore has a 'reason' to have a blocked nose. But in the absence of being ill or having hayfever, I'm not sure what the cause might be. Do you know the cause of the blocking up - could it be that you have some other breathing problem that feels like a blocked nose when it's more related to constriction of the airways? Did the saline work? And have you ever tried a nasal spray? I hate to ask questions, but I'm not sure what you can do about this.