Question
Posted by: JENNY | 2007/02/19

BLOCKED NOSE AND CONSTANT SNEEZING

Please Help! I am 4 months pregnant and constantly suffer from Sinusitis and sneezing. I have tried Iliadin Nasal Spray, Drixine, Sinusan (Homeopathy) but nothing seems to help. My nose is constanly blocked, I sneeze all the time. I used to use pills e.g. antihistamines like Sudafed, Deselex which always helped but my gyane has advised me not to take any pills except panado.

What can I use to stop this sneezing and blocked nose??? Its really bad!

Dear Jenny
Pregnancy can increase the blocked nose and your gyne is right, one should avoid antihistamines. One can probably use nasal cortisone spray twice a day. ( Beconase Aqueous - just don't overdose)
"The treatment of this condition is complicated by the fact that many patients seek relief from over the counter topical decongestants, leading to a superimposed rhinitis medicamentosa, and the fact that the physicians are limited in terms of the medications that are safe to use during pregnancy. While the use of antihistamines has not been linked to any increases in the rate of fetal malformations, certain antihistamines carry a warning in the PDR that they should not be used during pregnancy. Systemic decongestants, while not teratogenic, carry the theoretical risk of causing placental insufficiency due to vascular constriction, and of aggravating hypertension of pregnancy. In light of this, the physician must carefully consider the risk benefit ratio before prescribing either of these two classes of medications Antibiotics should only be administered for specific infections, such as purulent sinusitis that may develop as a result of the generalized mucosal edema. Corticosteroid nasal aerosols may be very useful in refractory rhinitis of pregnancy as well as in treating superimposed rhinitis medicamentosa. Because of the very low systemic absorption seen at therapeutic dosages, the use of nasal steroids is safe during pregnancy. Lastly, intraturbinal corticosteroid injection, while not very popular, can be very effective in severe rhinitis, and has no risks other than those inherent to the procedure, namely inadvertent embolization to the retinal artery. The rate of systemic absorption is extremely low and thus its use during pregnancy is considered safe."http://www.bcm.edu/oto/grand/2295.html