Question
Posted by: Zaza | 2007/03/07

Bloating

Hi there,

I suffer from extreme discomfort & am bloated after every meal. I have a lot of gas that i can't really let out as i please because i am at work & around people. I've tried cutting out bread, fizzy drinks and sugar but not much has changed.

I also suffer from ulcers & recurring ovarian cysts. Could these be contributing factors?

Please advise.

Dear Zaza
I reckon that the build up of gas and bloating is due to your ulcers and/or gastritis. Please ask the dr who is treating you to prescribe the necessary medication (e.g. proton pump inhibitors to reduce the amount of acid produced in your stomach and antacids like Ulsanic or Gaviscon to line your stomach and protect it against attack by all that acid you are producing). Heartburn, acid reflux and also stomach ulcers, which could be causing the wind in your stomach, are caused by excess acid production in the stomach and if the patient has food in the stomach this give the acid something it can work on instead of attacking the stomach lining. In fact, the use of 6 smaller meals a day is a good idea when suffering from heartburn or ulcers because this would mean that the you practically always has some food in your stomach to prevent acid erosion. You should split up your main meals into 2 smaller meals each. One of the most important factors in excess acid production and heartburn is stress. If you suffer from heartburn, you will have to experiment with the foods you eat that may cause problems (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, very fatty foods, etc and all alcohol). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. If you find that this is too difficult, then please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will help you pinpoint trigger foods and work out a diet that avoids them. To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension.

1
Posted by: Me | 2007/03/08

Try cutting out dairy. My husband had a lot of gas, since he stopped drinking milk (he drinks soya milk instead) there has been a huge improvement.

Reply to Me