Question
Posted by: Mal | 2007/08/19

Bloated Tummy

I'm a 55 yr old woman and seem to have a permanent bloated tummy that makes me look as though I'm six months pregnant. It's not flabby or loose fat, it's firm, but protruding a lot, although I can grab it in my hands when sitting down.
I am constipated about 4 days a week, but I try and remember to drink lots of water, but then I'm constantly needing to empty my bladder.
I'm not over weight,as I'm between 65 and 70 kgs and a size 12 to14 dress size.
I have tried situps and have purchased the Abswing all to no avail.
I eat a relatively healthy diet and just keep treats to weekends. My daily menu consists of muesli with milk for breakfast. An apple mid morning, soup and 3 provitas or cold meats and salad for lunch, a yoghurt for mid afternoon and meat, potatoes or rice with two veg in the evenings. All helpings are small to moderate. I drink about 6 cups of tea and 6 glasses of water a day.
Sometimes I have trouble bending down or when sleeping on my side with one knee up, the pressure on my belly makes my bladder leak.
Please advise,
Thanks.

Dear Mal

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

It seems that you are following a healthy diet and the exercise is a good idea and you should continue with both. I do however, suggest that you have an abdominal x-ray and sonar done, to exclude any pathological causes for your bloated tummy.

Kind regards

1
Posted by: anon | 2007/08/19

Go see your Dr you might need a gastroscopy and colonoscopy to rule out any growths, tumours/blockages/ polyps, etc.

Why not try a probiotic first. Are you on HRT??

As we get older we tend to produce less hydrochloric acid in our stomachs, so you might be lacking enzymes or might have food sensitivities. Visiting a dietcian can also help. But first rule out any growths etc.

Reply to anon