Question
Posted by: Bloated | 2012/01/20

bloated

what foods can I eat and avoid to reduce Bloating when I have my period ?? Being bloated is the most uncomfortable and irritating thing ever. PLIZ HELP. i heard about salt. WHAT else ??

Dear Bloated
If you only develop bloating when you menstruate, then you probably suffer from water retention and PMS caused by changes in female hormone levels. You can certainly reduce your salt intake, and make sure that you avoid all foods that contain a lot of salt such as biltong, preserved meats, snacks, chips, etc. The article 'PMS and Diet' should also be useful: www.health24.com/dietnfood/Food_as_medicine/15-48-467,20359.asp. Basically you need to eat a balanced, low-GI diet, take B complex vitamins and a mild diuretic (ask your gynae), reduce your salt intake and do some gentle exercises.
I do hope that you will be able to get this problem under control.

1

Dear Bloated