Question
Posted by: BD365 | 2007/04/29

Blighted ovum

The first day of my last period was 26 Feb 07. I did home preg test on 29 March, it was positive. I went to my GP on 13 April and blood was taken, it was confirmed I was about 6 to 7 weeks pregnant. I went to the gynae for my first visit when I was 8 weeks pregnant and an ultrasound was done. The doc said she could not detect a foetus. She did a transvaginal u/s. She kept looking and she and I saw a round white/grey object, on the screen, which she said she thought was an ectopic pregnancy. She took more blood to see the level of pregnancy hormones and sent me home. She called me later to say that the level of pregnancy hormones were very high and that it is definitely ectopic and they must remove it the next day with surgery. I went in the following day and a laparoscopy was done. I had four tiny incisions made in my tummy. She also did a scrape. After the op the doc came to see me and said that they could find no foetus and that it was in fact not an ectopic pregnancy, but what she thinks is a blighted ovum. She told me they would have to send it to the lab and she would call me 2 days later to confirm. She did call me 2 days later and said it was in fact a blighted ovum. I am wondering if this is the normal procedure and should I have had a second opinion? I just trusted everything the doc said and went ahead with it all. I would appreciate your opinion on this. Thank you.

It sounds reasonable. It is sometimes difficult to work out where a failing pregnancy is. If the histology confirmed a blighted ovum, then the right thing was done. It is unfortunate that you had to have the laparoscopy, but it is better not to have missed an ectopic pregnancy.