Question
Posted by: B | 2003/03/19

Blighted ovum

Dear gynaedoc,

After suffering from irregular periods for quite some time, I finally fell pregnant. I wasn't too sure of how far along exactly I was due to my irregular bleeding. I had my first gynae appointment yesterday and when the doc did a scan he could only very slightly make out something in the embryo sac but he warned me that I may have a blighted ovum. He did explain it but I just switched off. I have to go back again for another scan in 10 days for them to tell for sure. He also said that he thought I may have been 6 weeks pregnant, but perhaps I was only just 4/5 weeks - is there such a vast difference between 5 & 6 weeks? and what should we have seen at a 4/5 weeks scan? What is a blighted ovum?
I have been suffering from morning sickness & exhaustion which he says is a good sign of hormonal activity.
Your assistance & advice with this would be really appreciated as we have been so eager to conceive for so long now.
B

A blighted ovum is a pregnancy where the fetus has not formed, so there is only placental tissue and a sac. A normal pregnancy between 4-5 weeks may not show the fetus as it is just too early but, without knowing for sure how far pregnant you are, it is difficult to distinguish this from a pregnancy where the fetus has not developed. While this is a worying time for you, the only way to make the diagnosis is to repeat the scan later. In 10 days, a normal fetus would have developed whereas a blighted ovum would still have the same appearance as now.

3
Posted by: B | 2003/03/19

Dear Trixi and www
Thanks for the info and the support! You're right - it's out of my hands now and the big Guy up in heaven has a plan for me and my baby! You also keep your chin up, Trixi, just when I gave up (remember I was supposed to go for the d &c & laparoscopy, etc), then it happened!
It's been a roller-coaster ride that I don't want to have to go on again. I have been doing some research on the net and have found that the scan picture I have is quite common in an early pregnancy...so I do feel a little more positive. I am hoping that all this positive energy I have will help my baby to grow.
I will keep you both posted as to any further developments and can't wait for gynaedoc's reply.
B

Reply to B
Posted by: trixi | 2003/03/19

Hello B,

Congratulations!!!
I am also holding thumbs for you. Just remember not to worry. I know it is very difficult and that it is easy for me to say. I am also daily trying my very best to practice what I preach. You are blessed that you have become pregnant – I am still waiting.

An e-mail that I received: Many times we wonder why He let us go through such bad and difficult times. But God knows that when He puts all these things in His order, they always work for good! We have to trust Him and eventually, they will all make something wonderful!

Please let me know as soon as you know something.

Trixi

Reply to trixi
Posted by: www | 2003/03/19

Hi B, I'm not sure what exactly the difference between a 4/5 week scan and a 6 week scan would be, but I'm pretty sure that the major difference would be that at 6 weeks you normally can hear a heartbeat already. If you are in fact 4/5 weeks only, it might be too early to pick up anything really telling. A blighted ovum is if the amniotic sac develops, but there is no embrio there or it is just a "bunch" of cells growing and therefore needs to be removed. I'm sure that you shouldn't worry yet, though. Give it the 10 days that the doc is asking for and keep the faith. I'll be holding thumbs for you that all is well and that you're on your way to having a wonderful pregnancy!

Reply to www