Question
Posted by: Ally | 2007/12/10

Bleeding in 2nd trimester

I'm 17 weeks pregnant. Last week I started bleeding heavily. It was a bright red blood. When we got to the doctor he did a scan and the baby was fine. My cervix also wasn't opening, so he said he thought it might be my placenta. The next day it happened again and I went to another gynae. He said it definitely wasn't my placenta as it was in the right position and quite a few cm's from my cervix. He said he thought it was most likely cervical bleeding and that it's not uncommon. I've had intermittent bleeding since then but it's now become more like a period bleed. The first two times it was bright red and was very runny. Almost like a nose bleed. It's now brownish and consitent with a period. I have no cramps or pain. The doctor has reassured me that my baby is in fact fine, but this bleeding worries me. What exactly is cervical bleeding and why does it happen? He couldn't give me a satisfactory answer. Should I go back to the doctor? Or should I only panic if there's pain or cramping?

The cervic in pregnancy can be quite friable and can bleed, especially after intercourse. It is not always easy to determine the exact source of the bleeding. As long as the baby is fine, I would suggest that you avoid intercouurse, rest when possible and see your doctor again in 2 weeks.