Question
Posted by: Kiki | 2007/05/09

Bleeding Gums

Halo. My son is 4 years old and a normal healthy child. One day he told me his throat is painfull. Then he had a bit of fever. His tonsils are still fine. 4 days ago he got a really smelly breath and I let him sloosh his mouth with TCP. There were also little sores on his tongue. When I brush his teeth it began to bleed. His breath is better now and so is his tongue. But the bleeding gums . . . do I need to worry or is it something that will go away? May be from the fever he had?

Kiki

Dear Kiki
It is possible that your son had a virus infection which caused the sores in his mouth and the bleeding gums. I would recommend that you have him examined by your dentist so that he/she can advise you on what to do - how to brush the teeth so as not to damage the presently fragile gums and what mouthwash he should use (TCP may be too harsh). So take him to the dentist ASAP. Make sure that he is getting sufficient vitamin C (citrus fruits, pawpaw, guavas, strawberries and other berries, spanspek, the cabbage family, sweet green peppers) to help the gums to heal.