Question
Posted by: New mom | 2004/12/17

Bleeding and 6 weeks pregnant

I'm 6 weeks pregnant I started spotting 2 nights ago. The blood was bright red and it continued the whole night but it was very light flow. In the morning I called my GP and she said I shouldn't worry if I don't have cramps & clots, she thought it was implantation bleeding. Now I have a brownish discharge, the same I used to get on the last day of my periods. Is this brownish discharge still part of the implantation or should I be worried? Or can it be the camambert cheese I ate, I've just found out that it's not advisable to eat it during pregnancy.

This is going on a bit long for an implantation bleed. I would suggest that you see your doctor for a scan to check the fetal wellbeing. The cheese shuld not have anything to do with it.

4
Posted by: sam | 2004/12/18

see your doctor straight away. implantation bleeding happens 6-9 days after conception - and that was 4 weeks ago for you!!!
Its not implantation bleeding. Fire your doctor and get another gynae!! Hope you're ok - good luck...

Reply to sam
Posted by: Shari | 2004/12/17

Hi New Mom

I don't mean to alarm you, but you should really get that checked out. Bleeding in pregnancy is rarely a normal thing. I've had 4 miscarriages, all of the started with a brownish discharge. Please please don't leave this, contact your Gynae immidiatley or go to the emergency room as they can do the tests there and get you a script for progesterone.

Good Luck.
Shari

Reply to Shari
Posted by: Tash | 2004/12/17

Hi New Mom,

I dont know the answer to your question about the spotting, as far as i knew bleeding is a no no, and to phone doc imidiatly. But I have also read that a little bright blood (for a max of 3 days) is still safe. But the cheese you ate wont cause bleeding, they say not to eat any soft cheeses because they might be infected with salmonela or ecoli or some germ or the other, just stay away and rather be safe than sorry.

All the best, being preggy is wonderfull, im now 7 and a half weeks.

Reply to Tash
Posted by: Purple | 2004/12/17

It won't be the camembert cheese. The reason you're advised not to eat it in pregnancy is because unpasteurised soft cheese can give you listeria (a food poisining) which can harm your baby. In South Africa, all our dairy products are pasteurised (even camembert), just check the label, and if you are worried, phone the dairy company who made the cheese to check.

I would visit your doctor or see another doctor for a second opinion about the bleeding.

Implantation bleeding is quite rare, and would usually occur at about 4 weeks pregnancy (about 2 weeks after conception). All bleeding in pregnancy should be investigated, eventhough, it is usually nothing to worry about, and if it isn't accompanied by cramps and blood clots it also isn't usually anything to worry about.

Sometimes its because your progesterone levels are low. Ask your gynae to check them and prescribe cyclogest if this is the case. Its not something that is routinely checked.

Reply to Purple