Question
Posted by: Ninee | 2007/04/03

Bleeding after sex

I hope someone can help me!! I have been on the injection since Jan and my GP told me that apparently it takes your menstruation away completely. NOT TRUE... Since being on the injection, I have menstruated for sometimes even up to 2 weeks, although it is not as heavy as normal, but spotting. And now, I also have this problem for the last 2/3 weeks that whenever my boyfriend and I have sex, afterwards I am bleeding a bit. Not heavy, but only for about 2 hours or so and then it is gone again. Until the next time we have sex though, and it starts all over again. I hope someone here can tell me 1) why am I still menstruating even after I am on the injection and 2) why am I bleeding after I had sexual intercourse???

The majority of women do not bleed on the injection, but some do. Irregular bleeding is quite common, especially in the first 3 months. It tends to get better later. The bleeding after sex could be part of the irregular bleeding pattern, but could also indicate a problem with the cervix. You should see a doctor for a pap smear and internal examination.

Brest wishes

1
Posted by: Tinkie | 2007/04/03

Don't worry dol, I am in the same boat as you. I was told that it can take up to 4 injections before it is all gone. I have been on the injection since December, and I was bleeding for a whole month, then i spotted for a week on and off. But as for the bleeding after sex and during, I understand your frustration,as it still happens now and then. I feel so imbarrased when it happens. But thats just me. I not only went on the injection for birth controll, but for the "NO PERIOD" reason, as I hate getting my periods.

Reply to Tinkie