Question
Posted by: Bummed | 2007/08/16

Bleeding after anal sex

I am in a male-male monogomous relationship. We are both HIV negative and go for HIV tests regularly. We are faithful to one another and have been together for 3 years now. We do engage in unprotected anal sex since we are in a closed and safe relationship. I've noticed that sometimes when my boyfriend penetrates me I get an uncomfortable almost painful feeling deep in my midsection. If I have a bowel movement afterwards there is often blood in the stool or on the toilet paper after wiping. Sometimes the blood seems to come from small sores around the opening and other times from deeper inside the rectum. Neither of us have sexual deseases or warts and we have both had very few sexual partners in our past and have been tested for a whole spectrum of sexual diseases. The bleeding does not persist very long and there is no other pain or discomfort. Is this a serious issue or is it a minor concern?

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi Bummed, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting here.

This may not be a major issue but it certainly doesn't sound normal - I urge you to get a medical opinion. If necessary, and depending on where you live we may be able to refer you to a gay-friendly doctor - call the Gay & Lesbian Helpline on 021 4 222 500 any day between 1pm and 9pm to find such a doctor in your area.

Please post again after you've seen a doctor - I am very keen to know what this could be.

1
Posted by: Gareth | 2007/08/17

Bummed, if there are no pain or discomfort, and the blood is a bright red, not dark, it sounds a lot like piles to me. They do appear inside the rectum as well as outside simetimes (which I think might be the sores on the outside that you refer to). It is quite common, and I have heard that 1 out of 4 people (male or female) gets it sometime during their lives. It is not dangerous in itself, but remember, bleeding piles can easily transmit diseases like HIV etc. And contrary to popular belief it is not caused by sitting on a cold floor, or anal sex. Piles is when some of the miniscule veins in and around your rectum gets intertwined, and then clot up blood, which causes them to swell (and bleed). It is caused by wrong diet or too little water, even stres, or maybe if you are constipated a lot.
Normally they are not a problem, and most people don't really know they have it until it bleeds. Bleeding piles though, should be looked at, just in case, because if left unattended they could get very serious. Normally the doctor would give you some ointment to put on that will make them shrink in a few weeks, but if they are a bit more serious, they can be removed by a small operation. Sometimes the doctor can also put small elastic bands arount them which causes them to "fall off" in a week or so (which is completely painless). There are also a few "over the counter" ointments available - speak to a pharmacist but obviously the ones prescribed by your doctor (which are more expensive though) works better and quicker.
Hope this info helps, one of my ex partners had it and I did proper research on it.
But the point is, as expert said, get it checked out - it might feel a bit embarrasing, even with a gay doctor, but believe me, prevention is a lot better than cure.

Reply to Gareth