Question
Posted by: snuffels | 2004/09/29

bleeding

Hi. I have always bought male dogs. This is a first bitch that I have bought. I see that they have their periods just like us ladies. She is a jack-russle. Could you tell me for more or less how longs does this last? How long after her bleeding will it take for her to go on heat. Do they also have periods every month? Thanks

Dogs will have their cycle twice a year, but this process and the time and bleeding is actually very different from and at different times to that what happens in women. In the dog, when she comes on heat (called oestrus) the vagina will swell and haemorrhage may start. As soon as the haemorrhage stops, she is ready for mating. This whole process can take about three weeks. This is different to people, where the bleeding is as result of stripping of the lining of the uterus, AFTER the uterus was most susceptible to falling pregnant.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

1
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/10/01

The bleeding means she is on heat. If you don't want puppies, leave her in a place no dog can get into until after she stops. Don't assume your garden is so secure no dog can get in - you wouldn't believe what they'll do to get to a girl having her period. After she has finished breeding it is safe to have her steralised.

Reply to Acineth