Posted by: Lindo | 2008/10/02

Bladder infections

Hi doc,

I am a 24year old female, I seem to suffer from recurrent bladder infections. I drink lots of water and if I reduce or stop drinking water or cranberry juice maybe for 2 days, then I will have an infection. What could be wrong with me?

Dear Lindo
There may be a physical problem with your bladder - it may not empty properly, or you may have a small kidney stone that breeds bacteria. If you get more than 3 infections per year you should actually see an urologist so that they can do some tests ( usually a sonar, urine culture, sometimes an examination under anaesthetic - cystoscopy) to determine if there is an underlying problem that needs to be fixed first.

Posted by: Emma | 2008/10/02

Antibiotics work best. I am also prone to bladder infections and that is the only thing that works.

Reply to Emma
Posted by: Ruby | 2008/10/02

Hey Lindo,
The Cyberdoc will be able to advice you. One thing that really helped me aLOT was to drink the apple/cinamin and cranberry tea that you buy at Woolies. It does not contain tea, just natuaral stuff. The only thing that completely stopped my bladder infections (used to get one a every morning for more than a month) was when I went for a shoulder surgery and they gave me antibiotics to prevent infection to the heart sack which I was at risk for because I have mitral valve prolapse. After that huge dose of antibiotics IV, I never had a bladder infection again, but this will be an extreme measure (in my case they were not concerned about the bladder infections, they gave me normal anti-biotics for it that did not work). They can probably cure you with just a strong dose of atibiotics that you take orally. All the best! Try the tea! Ruby

Reply to Ruby