Question
Posted by: lion king | 2002/12/08

bladder infection due to a thickened bladder wall

i was diagnosed several years ago with a thickened bladder wall on the left side. due to exessive rod fishing when i was younger i am 56 now. the result is that the bladder never empties completely. with the result i do get ocasional bladder infection.this is normally treated with augmaxil,panamor and a muscle relaxent.i have been on this same treatment now for the past 5 days and it does not seem to clear up.i still have pain in my bladder i only have two antibiotic tabs left to finish the course. at the time about 8years ago the uro told me he could cut thru the muscles and solve the problem but, i suffer from asthma and smoke so i did not want to take the risk please advise

LK, you’re taking a much bigger risk by smoking when you have asthma, than having your bladder operated on.
Anyway, your symptoms may still be cause by a bladder infection, but the organism that is causing the infection may be resistant to Augmaxil®. The best would be to have your urine sent away for tests to determine the causative organism and then to take the appropriate antibiotics. If it still doesn’t clear up or if it return within a couple of weeks, you will have to see an urologist. Good luck.