Question
Posted by: C | 2006/07/20

Bladder infection again

I am so irritated. Last night I had to get an antibiotic from the doc for bladder infection. Two months ago I had kidney infection and was on the same antibiotic. I would really like some advise on who I can see regarding these infections. Thank you.

Dear C
the same antibiotic may work again! These days one gets broad spectrum antibiotics that work for more than one kind of bacteria. But if you have had 3 or more infections per year your doctor should do the following:
Send away urine for Microscopy and Cultivation
Organize a sonar of the kidneys - if negative
Organize a x/ray of the kidney tubes - if negative
refer you to an urologist for examination under anaesthetic with a little camera in the bladder
You may have a stone or narrowing of the urether or something that is triggering UTI's.

2
Posted by: anxious | 2006/07/20

Lou is right but only if you continue to get regular bladder/kidney infections. Also this would probably only be necessary if these positive results were confirmed by MC&S lab tests and not just dip stick tests done in doctor's rooms. A urologist might not consider you having a bladder/kidney problem until you have had regular problems, i.e. 2 infections only. even if in the space of 2 months does not necessarily justify urologist treatment. Women are known to be more susceptible to bladder/kidney infections. Try having 5 lab positive kidney infections in the space of 6 months! That's what I had in 2004, but then that was before I had my kidney op and I do have chronic kidney problems.

Two urologists that I have consulted over the years have said many people worry unnecessarily (particularly women) about the odd bladder/kidney infections and unless there is a clear continuous pattern of infections, they dont seem to worry too much. When I first consulted my current urologist about my kidney problems, he refused to agree that I had any problem until he had a set of about 4/5 months of lab reports of urine tests, x-rays etc and my detailed history.

Just remember urologists will want a detailed history of your problems, i.e. its unlikely they will say "oh you have a bladder/kidney infection problem" if you have only had a couple of infections and have not waited for a reasonable period before deciding that there is in fact a problem. Your gp will more than likely refer you to a urologist when necessary, as he/she will be the one noticing your ongoing problems.

Reply to anxious
Posted by: Lou | 2006/07/20

You need to see a Urologist (sp??) - some people are very prone to bladder infections, but in this day and age you shouldn't have to suffer with it that often.

Reply to Lou