Posted by: C | 2006/07/20

Bladder infection again

I am so irritated. Last night I had to get an antibiotic from the doc for bladder infection. Two months ago I had kidney infection and was on the same antibiotic. I would really like some advise on who I can see regarding these infections. Thank you.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Dear C
the same antibiotic may work again! These days one gets broad spectrum antibiotics that work for more than one kind of bacteria. But if you have had 3 or more infections per year your doctor should do the following:
Send away urine for Microscopy and Cultivation
Organize a sonar of the kidneys - if negative
Organize a x/ray of the kidney tubes - if negative
refer you to an urologist for examination under anaesthetic with a little camera in the bladder
You may have a stone or narrowing of the urether or something that is triggering UTI's.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: anxious | 2006/07/20

Lou is right but only if you continue to get regular bladder/kidney infections. Also this would probably only be necessary if these positive results were confirmed by MC&S lab tests and not just dip stick tests done in doctor's rooms. A urologist might not consider you having a bladder/kidney problem until you have had regular problems, i.e. 2 infections only. even if in the space of 2 months does not necessarily justify urologist treatment. Women are known to be more susceptible to bladder/kidney infections. Try having 5 lab positive kidney infections in the space of 6 months! That's what I had in 2004, but then that was before I had my kidney op and I do have chronic kidney problems.

Two urologists that I have consulted over the years have said many people worry unnecessarily (particularly women) about the odd bladder/kidney infections and unless there is a clear continuous pattern of infections, they dont seem to worry too much. When I first consulted my current urologist about my kidney problems, he refused to agree that I had any problem until he had a set of about 4/5 months of lab reports of urine tests, x-rays etc and my detailed history.

Just remember urologists will want a detailed history of your problems, i.e. its unlikely they will say "oh you have a bladder/kidney infection problem" if you have only had a couple of infections and have not waited for a reasonable period before deciding that there is in fact a problem. Your gp will more than likely refer you to a urologist when necessary, as he/she will be the one noticing your ongoing problems.

Reply to anxious
Posted by: Lou | 2006/07/20

You need to see a Urologist (sp??) - some people are very prone to bladder infections, but in this day and age you shouldn't have to suffer with it that often.

Reply to Lou

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.