Question
Posted by: Louise | 2008/07/07

Bladder infection

hi there

My boyfriends 3 and a half year old daughter who lives with her mother, grandmother and step-grandfather keeps getting bladder infections. The last one was so bad she was on anti-biotics, had a temp. of 40 degrees and was throwing up.

What would be causing this to keep recurring? She doesn't bath in bubble bath or anything like that.

Dear Louise
Some girls are just more prone to bladder infections but it is sometimes caused by wiping her bottom the wrong way ( back to front instead of front to back) or due to a problem in the bladder itself. The rule is that any child that gets more than 3 bladder infections in a year should see a specialist for examination under anaesthetic and other tests.

6
Posted by: Louise | 2008/07/08

Thank you Anxious, I will arrange for this.

Reply to Louise
Posted by: anxious | 2008/07/08

Louise

CD wont see your new question unless you post it as a new posting. Make sure you put in the same subject matter in the new posting so she knows what you are referring to.

Reply to anxious
Posted by: anxious | 2008/07/08

Sexual abuse is unlikely to be related to ongoing infections - take her to a urologist where she might have to have a cystoscopy under general anaesthetic. This procedure is extremely useful to doctors/specialists in finding out about possible bladder/kidney problems and the specialist can then treat the problem accordingly. Are her urine samples always sent to the lab for testing? This is the only way of diagnosing true ongoing infections as the lab culture the urine sample and if the result is positive they can then provide extremely useful info to doctors about which antibiotic is sensitive/resistant to the type of infection if the results are in fact positive.

Please see to it that she goes to a urologist. Ongoing bladder/kidne infections are not considered by a urologist as ongoing problems unless lab test proof can be supplied that more than 3 infections have in fact occurred during a 12mth period. It still seems that she really does need to be sent for a urologist opinion.

Reply to anxious
Posted by: Louise | 2008/07/08

Thank you ladies, I have pointed out the wiping from back to front storey. But i just want to rule out sexual abuse as a cause?

Reply to Louise
Posted by: anxious | 2008/07/07

She might need to go to a urologist - a kid this young shouldnt keep getting these type of infections - the symptoms you describe of her latest infection suggest she could well have in fact had a kidney infection, you wont normally get vomiting and such a high temperature just from a bladder infection - these are definite signs of kidney infections. She needs to to be taken to a urologist for specialist advice.

I have chronic kidney problems and stopped counting years ago how many kidney infections I have had. At such a young age, she needs to be careful about causing possible damage to her kidneys. Its also very important that she only wears 100% cotton panties.

Please tell your boyfriend she needs to see a urologist as soon as possible.

Reply to anxious
Posted by: murtle | 2008/07/07

Sometimes it can be the toilet paper if it is colour. Must onlyuse white toilet paper. The dye in colour toilet paper and colour soap can cause bladder infections.

Reply to murtle