Question
Posted by: Laura | 2007/06/19

Bladder Infection

I have had 5 bladder infections this year. I was on anti-biotics about a month ago. The Doc checked afterward to see if the infection had cleared. Iit had but it's back again. I have terrible back ache. Especially the left side. I also get the chills. I am back on citro soda. I really can't keep taking anti-biotics. I used to get them when I was younger but the last 10 yrs it's been maybe once a year. I have been monitoring my fluid in take. I don't seem to drink more than a litre a day. Don't seem to get thirsty. Do you think this could be the problem?

Hallo Laura
No I think there is something in the urinary tract that causes the infection - either your bladder is not emptying properly or you have a kidney stone or some other physical problem. Your doctor needs to refer you to an urologist for an examination under anaesthetic with a "scope" or fibre optic camera. More that 3 infections in a 12 month period is an indication for specialist examination.
read this article: http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/utiadult/