Question
Posted by: Nic | 2007/04/16

Bladder infection

Dear Cyberdoc

I have a problem that has been bothering me for the past two months now.

I am an occasional drinker, which in my case means that I will maybe once over a weekend have a few drinks when socialising with friends.

The problem is that every time I had alcohol the night before, I wake up the following morning with the worst possible bladder infection. I then use Citro Soda and also went on the antibiotic, "Utin", three times now already.

I had an operation 8 years ago in which the made my ureter a bit wider as it was too narrow.

Can you maybe explain why I am getting these infections?

Thanks !

Dear Nic
Although alcohol is a "drink" it actually dehidrates you and may put more stress on your kidneys. I do think you need to go for a follow-up exam with your urologist as 3 infections per year are already too much and can cause permanent kidney damage in the long term. You may have a chronic low grade infection that just gives symptoms now and then or a kidney stone that keeps generating infections.