Question
Posted by: chocolatelover | 2003/01/14

Bladder infection

Hi, my husband and I are trying to conceive so I would like to avoid antibiotics but I seem to be getting a bladder infection again(I had one about 3 months ago). My grandmother suggested that I try Lennon Haarelemensis at night time because it worked for her. It contains Balsam Sulphuris Base, Tar, Turpentine oil & Arachis oil. Please help me with the following questions..
1) Do you think I should go to the doctor for a prescription or should this do the trick?
2) how safe would this be durring pregnancy?
3) how long should I take this for before symptoms dissappear completely?

Thankyou for your help.

Chocolatelover, I really think that you should rather take antibiotics than tar and turpentine containing preparations. Certain antibiotics have been proven to be 100% safe during pregnancy, but I don’t know if the same can be said for haarelemensis.
Nothing wrong with following Jane’s advice. Problem is that the effectiveness of cranberry is hard to determine and is therefore difficult to prescribe (i.e. I can’t tell you how much to take and for how long).
Candida causes vaginitis (vaginal inferction) and almost never cystitis (bladder infection). On the other hand, it is often to blame for burning urine (a symptom of cystitis), but this is due to irritation of the urethra and not a bladder infection. Good luck.

2
Posted by: chocolatelover | 2003/01/15

thanks Jane!

Reply to chocolatelover
Posted by: Jane | 2003/01/14

Cranberry is a miracle for bladder infection (Cranberry juice is too high in sugar - I would recommend capsules). Also, supplementing with a reputable live Acidophilus (capsules kept in fridge) will restore the friendly bacteria (both available at health stores).
At least 2 litres of water daily.
Antiobiotics destroy both bad and good bacteria, which could result in Candida Albicans, which sometimes causes bladder infection - vicious circle.
Candida feeds on high carbohydrate and sugar diet.
Try avoid bath oils and perfumed soaps for a while.
If you fall pregnant during a month's course of the above, I'm sure these suggestions would be harmless, subject to CyberDoc's medical opinion.

Reply to Jane