Question
Posted by: Lia | 2004/11/18

Bladder and menstrual problems after c-section complications

I have two children, both born with caesarian. At birth of the second I was told by the gynae that my bladder had been damaged during the first caesar and had reattached itself to the front of my uterus. He cut it loose but hinted that I'd have problems later on. I was also sterilized at the same time. A week after the birth I developed an absces in the c-section wound. I had it cut out twice and was left with a hole the size of a bar of soap.
My concern is that I now have very heavy and painful periods and a lot of clotting. I've also become incontinent to a degree. I have read that abdominal surgery can damage nerves in the bladder. I'm quite anxious about the situation but don't know if I'm just overreacting. Please help!

I would suggest that you see a gynaecologist who specialises in bladder problems to assess exactly why you are incontinent. You don't say what contraception you are using as this can affect the heaviness of your periods.

2
Posted by: Golly | 2004/11/18

Any abdominal surgery carries with it the risk of adhesions forming around the organs and between the cavity wall and organs. The adhesions are also more likely to occur after any infection or abcesses. As a result of such adhesions, whenever there is a bowl movement, swelling or cramping (as during menstruation) the organs "pull" against these adhesions which can cause a lot of pain.

You may need to have your bladder re-attached to your pelvic bones instead of to the other organs as the ligaments that supported the bladder are unable to hold it up. A result of this is frequent need to urinate and urinary tract and bladder infections. Maybe a laparoscopy can shed some light as to what is going on inside. It is much less invasive than a c-section.

Reply to Golly
Posted by: Wendy | 2004/11/18

Hi Lia

I had a C-section with my 2nd child, and now also experience very heavy, painful periods with lots of clotting, and they also go on for longer than they ever used to. I was concerned, so went to my Gynae, who put my mind at rest with a thorough examination & pap smear, and said that it has been found to be a reasonably common side-effect of the sterilization.

Hope this helps.

Reply to Wendy