Posted by: Brad | 2008/09/08

Blackout / nauseous

I started to go to the gym today.(91kg male). But just 10minutes of cycling (70-80 RPM) had me to the ground. I started to feel nauseous and right after that my vision started to go black and I felt dizzy. I was deaf and couldn' t hear anything. I was carried to a office where I could recover while I was drinking coke to get myself online again as I had no idea where I was.They said my lips went white and my face was very pale.
They urged me to get a docter to check me out for high blood pressure (Mine being 124/89mmHg after the dizzyness and 131/92 three days before), and also for Asthma. I had some sore caughing after the whole episode.
I was also eating some provitas and nuts and had enough to drink before the 10minute session. Although people told me it was too little to eat.

I would like to know after I hear your comments howcome this happens and what happens to your body for it to react this way?

This sounds like a blood sugar or pressure problem. In terms of Blood pressure, it is more likely it's low BP at the time of fainting, though it's interesting that it was that high afterwards. That would tell me that it's not a BP problem - just so you know though, people often black out because their BP is TOO LOW. Doesn't seem to have been the case here.

Therefore, I'm thinking diet. Maybe what has happened is that you're eating too close to training. What that does is "trick" your body into wanting to digest and absorb that food, and then when you start exercise, it's in the wrong "mode". That can, strangely enough, mean that your blood sugar levels precisely BECAUSE you've eaten too soon before exercise. Don't want to go into the physiology of this, but hopefully it makes some sense. The trick is to eat before training, but not so close to training that you cause this little "error" to be made by your body.

So rather than eating less, maybe the trick is that you ate too close, and just eating say 45 to 60 minutes before would prevent it.

The other thing at play here is that it happened on your first training session ever. So therefore, I'd say you might wish to just have a medical and make sure that all is OK. I don't wish to alarm you, but it's a good safety measure to just check out that nothing associated with the heart is causing this, because it could be. I doubt it and your quick recovery is a sign that it's nothing super serious, but you never know, and it's obviously better safe than sorry.

So that's something to consider. But also look at the diet, and look how hard you're training. Did you overdo it? Is it going to happen again? Obviously, you'll train with some trepidation in future, but it might have been an isolated incident, nothing serious. Let's hope so, but consider that medical and also the energy aspect for the future.

Posted by: Brad | 2008/09/11

Thanks Doc for the reply and all the informaion, will definitely focus on what you said.

Kind regards

Reply to Brad
Posted by: Brad | 2008/09/09

Thanks Tilly for the information, it' s appreciated. :)

Reply to Brad
Posted by: Tilly | 2008/09/09

Brad you threw yrself in the deep end. What is yr previous fitness history and when were you last active? You shd have started off with a very easy gentle program. Maybe not even cycling, just walking on the treadmill with no incline, at a nice easy pace. After 5 mins, assess yr comfort levels and continue. Even five mins is a long enough introduction if you truly have never been the active type before.

Then up it every week or so - 8 mins, 10, 13, 15 etc.

Dizziness and nausea signal overtraining or putting too much stress on yr body. Yr heart and muscles were unprepared for the exercise and complained accordingly. Did you warm up properly first? Do get that medical check up but also take it extremely slowly when you go back to the gym. At the first sign of pain or discomfort, you stop. In the gym, there is good pain and there is bad pain. Yrs was definitely the bad sort.

Your endurance will build in time. You shd be pleased with yourself that you are doing something to take care of yr health. Many ppl cannot be bothered. Keeping fit is always worth it even if you start off at a very low level. I used to not be able to do one sit up now I can do 40 at one go - and I' m a mother in her mid 30s! All things come in time :)

Reply to Tilly