Question
Posted by: Ryan Wilson | 2006/04/04

Black Toenails but dermatologist says not fungal infection!

Hello Sir,

I am 22yrs and i have had black toenails for the past 6years,,they start as a thin dark line and the lines increase and the nail becomes darker and darker..i went to a dermatologist abd he said that it is not a fungal infection and that the problem is in my genes. he even said there is no cure for it.

i even took lamisil tablets over a period of 8months but saw no improvements and the medication was a bit expensive for me. please advise me on what should i do as i am so embarassed to walk barefeet and never even go out because of this problem..i rarely go to the beach and never swim because of the fear of other people seeing my feet. i rarely date because of this problem! i also start seeing the dark lines in my finger nails! does this mean that they will also go black? please help me!

thank you

Expert ImageArchive

If you took lamisil for 8 months and it didnt help then your derm is correct it isnt a fungus, however if you still are convinced the get a GOOD scraping done and have it sent to the lab for a fungal culture
Black nails can come from a mould in the nail and this is very difficult to treat
There may also be "freckles" in the nail bed and as the nail grows it picks up the melanin (a pigment in the skin) and this will give the nail dark stripes
I suggest you get anothe ropinion and if the derm is correct (and I have no reason to doubt him) then I suggest you go see a psychologist to gev you some coping skills to move beyond this as it neednt ruin your life