Question
Posted by: Annette | 2007/03/27

Black stuff under kitten's chin

My kitten (6 months) has been getting this black stuff under his chin. The vet gave me some stuff to put on (something like Curatex??) but it is not helping. He said it may be because the cat's chin is staying wet after drinking milk but my cat don't get milk. He is eating adult Hills pellets tho and I thought maybe the pellets are a bit hard for him and is causing this black stuff under his chin. It is not itchy cos he is not scratching it. When I put the cream on he just licks it off again. The black stuff is hard and when i pull it off some of his fur also comes off with it. What can I do?

Are there any "blackhead" looking lesions? Cats can suffer from acne and will require cleansing with an antiseptic solution and topical antibiotic cream to resolve it. If it is crust-like material it can be siftened with warm water and washed off. As long as the skin is not inflamed that is all that should be required.

2
Posted by: K | 2007/04/02

Could it not be ringworm? My kitten had to be treated 3x for it. It appeared as black, hard "dirt" on his nose area. It was not picked up by the vet when he went for his shots and a check up. Eventually my dog got sores on his lips and my son got ringworm. I put it all together and took the kitten & dog to the vet. They did a test right there and found out immediately it was ringworm. The kitten had it so badly that he had to be treated 3x for it.

Reply to K
Posted by: Pluto | 2007/03/27

It sounds like Feline Acne, my cat also gets it some times. does your cat have a plastic bowl? If so, change it to one of the metal ones, apparently the plastic also makes it worse.

Reply to Pluto