Question
Posted by: Claire | 2007/06/25

Bizarre attention problem

I just had a rather scary experience. I was driving with my little sister and her friend in the car. We had been through a few green robots and as we began to approach another one it turned red. I basically said "Oh no" and began to slow down to stop. Then I kept going and went right through.

My sister got a fright and shouted that I was going through a red robot and I suddenly snapped to attention and realized what I was doing.

I don't understand what happened though and it frightens me. I was paying attention and began to react and then without noticing it I went right through. I don't understand it. I don't know if I stopped paying attention, if I forgot what I was doing. I am totally shocked and it has made me scared that I may be losing my mind.

I am young. I just turned 22. I am a student doing my second degree. I have never had a problem with ADD. It is almost like I zoned out and "fell asleep" while being wide awake. I don't trust myself on the road now.

I am very frightened. I feel like it sounds trivial: I went through a red robot, but it is so inexplicable to me, because I both knew and didn't know what I was doing. Is this serious? Should I see a neurologist?

Dear Claire
This is a difficult one - but as you feel you did register that the robot was changing and then "cut out" it could have been a type of epilepsy - for your own peace of mind it may be worth going for a EEG test - ask your GP to refer you.