Question
Posted by: What do I do? | 2005/06/03

Bitches

I have a labrador bitch (spayed - 3 years old) and a dachshund bitch (spayed - 11 years old). The dachshund's brother (male; neutered - 11 years old) died about three weeks ago. The labrador and the male dachshund were close - she had a much closer relationship with him than with the female dachshund.

Recently I have noticed that the labrador and the remaining dachshund really have problems with each other. The dachshund is more dominant but the labrador is bigger. They don't fight in a serious manner, but have lots of little scufles. The labrador seems to be taunting the dachshund and the little one always responds. l try to ignore this and give them both attention. Did the male dog dying upset their pack order? What can I do to facilitate them getting along? I was thinking of getting another dachshund (perhaps next year) but I'm not sure whether it should be male or female. At the moment I think a male dog might work better. I am still mourning the death of my boy-dog and find the bithches not getting along upsetting. Any advice?

Many thanks

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your male dachshund. Yes a male will be better. The death of your boy could have upset the structure a bit, but by you ignoring the females when they have their little scuffles, is the best thing you can do. Do not respond or react in any way because they need to solve their own problems. The Labrador could just want to encourage the little one to play with her. Your little one will tell her when it will be allowed. Try and stimulate your labrador by giving her other toys and chewy hooves to keep her occupied as well.

CDV