Question
Posted by: help!! | 2007/04/22

birds "panic attack"

I have a maroon bellied conure (8 mths old) he has recently started having "panic attacks". He will flap his wings while hanging onto the inside of his cage. He bites if you try and pick him up when his doing this. He is very tame and was hand reared so biting is not normal for him. He doesn't make a noise while behaving this way and just sits almost in a trance when his calmed down. It takes him some time before his back to normal! Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Is he not exercising his wings? He appears to be at the age when they would start flying around and holding onto his cage a flapping could be developing his muscles. Interfering with him during this may distract him and lead to biting.

1
Posted by: Carol | 2007/04/22

its sounds like he is playing , my conures and my grey do this .... great fun apparently :)

Reply to Carol