Question
Posted by: blossom | 2007/06/25

bipolar trying to help depressed friend

i have been treated for bipolar and depression for a few years now, and find myself caught up in a close friends' extreme depression, alcoholism and suicidal thoughts. i am helping all i can but am worried it may affect me. i cannot just abandon her, but am worried. have made an appnt for her to see a psych asap.

Don't allow yourself to become "caught up with" a friend's depression, alcoholism and suicidal thoughts --- you are not a trained shrink. Its not your task to "help" her --- inctead, strognly encourage her to recognize her problems need expert help, and steer her towards a good local shrink who should take charge of her treatment. Support her decision to accept therapy, and to stick with it, and stay out of the emotional content as far as possible

1
Posted by: ANITA | 2007/06/25

EK WEET WAARVAN JY PRAAT,DIT HET 'N BAIE GROOT INVLOED OP JOU EIE GEMOEDSTOESTAND, DIE BESTE IS OM HAAR BY 'N SIELKUNDIGE TE KRY SODAT HY HAAR OP MEDIKASIE KAN SIT.

Reply to ANITA