Question
Posted by: Peta | 2007/08/10

Bipolar & Pregnant

Hi There, hope you can help me.

I am bipolar and looking to fall pregnant - will go off all my meds to do that and stay off all during pregnancy.

My questions are these:
- I have been told that a bipolar pregnancy is seen as being high risk - why?
- I have gone through to 2 diff gynaes who refuse to treat me as bipolar pregnancy patient - why would that be? Is it more work to have bipolar patient or what?
- will i have to have a c-section or can i give natural birth?
- are there any extra tests that i wil need?

Thanks so much for your assistance
Peta

Because of the hormone changes in pregnancy, your moods could be worse. I would not suggest that you stop all your medication but rather that, in consultation with your psychiatrist, you find options which can be used in pregnancy. Probably the gynaecologists do not have enough experience with bipolar. You will need very careful monitoring with a psychiatrist in collaboration with your gynaecologist.
There is no reason why you should need a caesarean because of the bipolar and there are no special pregnancy tests you will need. Depending on the medication you are taking, a detailed scan would be indicated.