Posted by: Zak | 2008/10/25

Bipolar is it genetic

I have been diagnosed with Bipolar. Which could explain alot of my life. Is it genetic? I am now 38 with 2 kids if it is genetic i may have found out a bit late.

Well, to the extent that it is genetic / inheritable, there's not much you can do about it anyway, exceptm perhaps to avoid marrying someone who is also already bipolar or who has a very strong family history of it. Bipolar Disorder is "genetic" or inheritable, like ordinary Depression, but only to a degree. If anyone in your family has it, your chances of developing it are higher than those of the general population, but not very much higher. The more family members who have it, the higher the risk, but still MOST children won't be affected.

Posted by: Zak | 2008/10/27

To Cybershrink: thank you for your reply. At least now i know and when i am ready will discuss this with my daughter who is 11 years. Not that it is genetic just that i do have Bipolar (at her age she has enough to handle). I also know that i need to keep an eye open for later life for both of them.
To Kayla: Thank you for your your suport, i really need to read that just then, you helped me see a better side of this when it was all crashing a tad.

Reply to Zak
Posted by: Kayla | 2008/10/26

If you want to stop reading now just know that I have no idea if Bipolar is genetic. Thing is is that your married and have two kids! Thats awesome! I' ve heard a lot of stories on how people with personality disorders and such never get married and say that their life is terrible. Its a good question wheather its genetic because of your kids, but I wouldn' t worry, you' ve turned out successful it seems so why shouldn' t they? Hope your true answer to the question comes up,

Reply to Kayla