Posted by: CP MOM | 2008/10/01

Bipolar friend who killed herself

When my friend who tried at least 7 times a year to commit suicide eventually committed suicide over a year ago after a life of Bipolar –  I thought I knew the extent of her pain / unhappiness / life / loves / losses… .I was totally mistaken. She had left notes and papers over the course of her life that her mother gathered up once she packed up her belongings –  I read them this week when I was “ back home”  on holiday.

I cannot believe that one person could live through molestation, drugs, being an alcoholic, a prostitute, a stripper, herself then having abused a brother, abortion, rape and and

The manipulation of her family is the worst!

Once she was drunk and crashed a new car her father gave her (one of aprox 6 she can remember) he then bought her a bicycle as punishment to go to university with, she then stabbed herself in the stomach and told them it’ s because bicycle’ s are dangerous –  she got a new car… ..This was the story of her life.

I’ m so shocked at the things I read –  but also I know that bipolar’ s can “ make up”  things so I guess one needs to take everything with a pinch of salt. BUT if only 10% of these things really did happen to her then she had a unbelievable life!

And she was pretty like Julia Roberts, she was so gifted –  studies Medicine and Law, she had it all!!!!! I am overweight, I am … . I am… I am… ..I always thought if I could only have what she had… THEN I’ d be happy then I’ d have it all

Her parents bought her everything –  mine made me work for everything. She went overseas –  I went to Durban. She got a business bought for her, I had to work at jobs… .Life seems unfair and sometimes you think people have it all only to discover they would have given anything to be “ normal”  like you.

I asked her mom WHY DID SHE NOT JUST TAKE HER MEDS –  and her mom said SHE NEEDED THE HIGH’ S that only the Bipolar can give her… ..

In ICU where she stole meds and killed herself she wrote in a book “  I know you will never understand, but I am tired, tired, tired, I can no longer stand the pain and emptiness”  after reading these notes of hers I understand how painful her life must have been.

I doubt anyone could do anything more for her from government facilities to expensive/private ones to one in Switzerland. Maybe when they wanted her “ committed”  and her father refused as she’ ll lose all right to her own bank accounts and finding a job and and it was a mistake… ..

All I know is that she had a HELL OF A LIFE –  and beauty and money could not save her… .could anything have saved her ?

I cannot IMAGINE what BP people go through… .this glimpse of her life has made me thankful for a lot and also opened my eyes… we have no idea WHAT these people go through… .

Most of the dramatic aspects of her sad life sound highly likely to be related to a severe personality disorder, rather than Bipolar Disorder, as none of these behaviours are more common among Bipolar people than others. It shows, too, that while she may have seemed to have everything, all that money brought her was of little value ; while what you worked for, was worth more. She didn't NEED the high's, she wanted the highs, and chose to trun risks to get them. I have seen people in similar situations who DID turn it round and then led happy and sucessful lives, but that's uncommon, and needs a trusting relationship with a special therapist.
The only point on which I consistently disagree with you here, is that her sad story is NOT about "what these people ( Bipolars ) go through" --- it is what a severely personality disordered person can go through --- and though she seems to have expressed regret for her own sadness, she doesn't seem ( at least not in what you quote ) to express regrets for the pain she caused to others

Posted by: T | 2008/10/03

BP is tough at it' s best. Through being hospitalised I have met a lot of other BP people. I think it depends on personality type also.
I am medicated as are my friends, but unlike the bulk of them, I do get up in the mornings, I do take my kids to school, I clean and I cook. I refuse to let BP get the beter of me. It' s no one' s fault that I have BP, I am not going to make others around me suffer.
Yes, I have had a pretty awful childhood, but I refuse to let it get me down. Sometimes, I wish that I could be more relaxed like my friends, but I sorely lack the ability.
Whether BP or not, people sometimes do tend to take advantage of situations. The more you give, the more they expect. You are actually not even helping that person, you are making matters worse, they don' t learn to stand on their own feet.
I find that many of us BP folk do have underlying personality disorders, I am almost certain that mine is the ' boderline personality'  one.
BP is not a fashion statement (as people are now believing), it can be downright nasty. Some days are good, some manageable and some are just plain nightmares.
But I refuse to let it get the upper hand and I think that, that is what has kept me semi-sane......

Reply to T