Question
Posted by: Mel | 2007/12/12

Bipolar disorder - what to do?

My daughter was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in Dec 2006 and an alcoholic. She was in Vista for a period of 21days. She was then fine for 7 months but August this year she started her manic cycles again. This is a regular occurance about once a week. My son-in-law is now fed-up because she leaves the house at night and he doesn't know where she goes. She only comes back the following day and had obviously been drinking heavily. She can't remember half the time where she had been. This is dangerous and she is out of control. My granddaughter is 4 years old and we cannot understand that she does not have the responsibility to take care of her. She has created a lot of financial debt and when she goes off during her stints we think she is being promiscuous. My son-in-law now wants a divorce and I'm worried what will happen to my daughter. They live on a farm in the Southern Cape. She also refuses to see a phsychiatrist on a regular basis. She is on a mood stabiliser and anti-depressent but we do not know if she takes it regularly. I live in Gauteng and my son-in-law works in Cape Town and only comes home on weekends.

That's very rapid cycling for Bipolar Disorder, if she has manic episodes once a week --- and if she is taking drugs, it'd be VERY hard to be sure of such a diagnosis, to distinguish it from the effects of the drugs and withdrawal from them., not to mention the alcoholic binges and alcohol withdrawal. Unless she sees a psychiatrist regularly AND takes her mood stabilizer and other emds as recommended by the doc, she will NOT be able top control her bipolar disorder, and the outlook would be poor. Maybe your son-in-law needs to discuss this seriously with the shrink who has been treating her, and see if they can work out a plan.
Effective treatment of someone who refuses to take it or to be carefully followed up and advised, just isn't possible. WHy is your daughter apparently so insistent on being self-destructive ?

4
Posted by: Mel | 2007/12/12

Thanks for the info Maria.

Reply to Mel
Posted by: Maria | 2007/12/12

Hi Mel. You have to start a new post if you want CS to react to the additional info, he doesn't come back to a post that he has already answered.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Mel | 2007/12/12

Thanks for the replies.

Self-destructive is definitely what she is doing. I don't really know what the exact reason is although I can speculate. She does not have a good relationship with her father. He has a low self-esteem and takes it out on other people. He also used to stay out at night then come back home drunk and would then be abusive. When she admitted herself to Vista last year, I contacted the phsychiatrist whom she was seeing but she signed the confidentiality form restricting any information being given to us. She did very well for the 7 months but since then the wheels are coming off. She started a new job in Feb and was socialising with clients one night when she lost it again. After that she told us she will never do that again but to no avail it only lasted 3 weeks and she was back to her old ways. The problem is that she cannot even take 1 drink then the cycle starts again. She takes very good care of my granddaughter when my son-in-law is in CT because she does not go out during that period but the minute he arrives then it is as if she lets her hair down and off she goes to some appointment. He never knows where or when she will be back. She lost her job in August because of this behaviour and had obviously been drinking with the clients. She has never been in a job for longer than a couple of months. My son-in-law has on a couple of occasions taken my granddaughter with him to CT and left her with his family but to no avail she did not change or even attempt to change. She also lies so much that we don't know what to believe anymore. The problem now is my son-in-law wants a divorce and he is going to take my granddaughter away from her. I don't know how she will handle that with the frame of mind she is in.

Reply to Mel
Posted by: Maria | 2007/12/12

Who looks after your granddaughter if your daughter is unable to care for her and her husband is not there during the week?

Reply to Maria