Question
Posted by: holotropic | 2004/12/07

Bipolar Disorder + Low Blood Pressure + USN Products

I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder in 2003...to be honest, it has been a rather challenging experience over the past year and a half and I have not yet found complete solace in the psychiatrist that I was recommended to me.

I recently started using the USN products in alignment with my gym programme which has had a great effect on my body. I did a lot of research before I purchased the products and was told that although I am taking Lithium (camcolit) I should not have any adverse effects to the combination.

However, low blood pressure runs in the family and I am incredibly confused with the way my body is responding to all of the extra energy, Lithium intake and Spirulina, coupled with Oxiprovin. Phew!

I realise that I am not being completely responsible by not seeing my psychiatrist as often as I should, but the 20min fee of R220.00 is completely exorbitant as far as I am concerned.

I would appreciate any holistic advice you may be able to offer in this regard. Thank you in advance...

Warmest regards

HOLOTROPIC

Sorry, I have no idea what USN products are, and in my opinion, ALL of the special supplements should be banned from sale as ripoffs. Also, I have found no good research on potential interactions between any of the significant medical drugs, and the various untested products like spirulina etc., where they have slid round the regulations without being required to prove safety and effectiveness. Yes, it apparently costs R 220 to see your psychiatrist --- but how much toes the spirulina, the USN products and the gym programme cost ?
And remember the risk that in Bipolar Disorder, the extra energy that comes in the early stages of a manic episode may feel great and be mistakenly attributed to whatever supplements you may be taking, rather than recognized as early warning signals. That's where a psychiatrist's assessment could be really helpful.
And though I believe in holistic solutions, I don't consider ANY of the dietary supplements or spirulina to ever be part of a holistic solution --- they're just taking chemicals, with inflated claims for their benefits, sold at high profit by companies which have not done the necessary research to prove whether their claims are true, or their products are safe. That's hardly holistic !