Question
Posted by: Shawn | 2007/12/11

Bipolar disorder and medication

I suspect I may suffer from bipolar disorder. I am going to see a psychiatrist next week.

I have a question before I go.
If I am diagnosed is it a guarantee that I'll have to take medication? Roughly what percentage of people with bipolar disorder need to be medicated?

Right decision, Shawn, to see the psychiatrist for assessmetn and discussion. It'll be up to you to decide what treatment to accept, based on a proper discussion with the shrink. But most experts in the field I know, would both want to use mood-stabilizing drugs on any member of their family in that situation, and on themselves in the same situation