Question
Posted by: JB | 2004/12/22

Bipolar Disorder

Dear Doc,

Please give systoms and treatment for Bipolar disorder. Thank you JB

Dear JB, that's not quite how we work in this forum --- or I'd be writing essentially the same detailed information about each condition at least once a day. I'll be pleased to respond to any specific questions you have, after you've already read the basic stuff. There's basic information elsewhere within Health24 ( try our Mind section, for instance ) ; and also search the archives of this forum, as we've discussed many aspects of bipolar disorder many, many times. For a wider search, try google.com. Meanwhile, Beyond Tired has given an excellent basic description here already

3
Posted by: REED | 2004/12/22

MY BROTHER SUFFER FROM BIOPOLAR AND I JUST WANT TO SAY THAT I KNOW THAT ITS HARD TO DEAL WITH

Reply to REED
Posted by: Beyond Tired | 2004/12/22

Here is some info someone posted for me some time back.

Some Info from the Net,

Types of Mood Episodes Associated With Bipolar Disorder

Manic Episode (Mania) is a distinct period during which there is an abnormally and constantly elevated, expansive, or irritable mood, lasting at least 1 week.

Hypomanic Episode (Hypomania) is a milder form of mania that lasts at least 4 days.

Major Depressive Episode (Depression) is a period during which there is either depressed mood or the loss of interest or pleasure in nearly all activities, lasting for at least 2 weeks.

Mixed Episode is a period of time during which a person experiences both manic and major depressive symptoms nearly every day for at least 1 week.

Types of Bipolar Disorder

Bipolar II Disorder
One or more major depressive episodes accompanied by at least
1 hypomanic episode. Hypomanic episodes have symptoms similar to manic episodes but are less severe. Between episodes, there may be periods of normal functioning. Symptoms may also be related to seasonal changes.

Bipolar I Disorder
One or more manic episodes or mixed episodes and often 1 or more major depressive episodes. Depressive episode may last for several weeks or months, alternating with intense symptoms of mania that may last just as long. Between episodes, there may be periods of normal functioning. Symptoms may also be related to seasonal changes.

Reply to Beyond Tired
Posted by: Beyond Tired | 2004/12/22

Hi JB,
There are a lot of postings on this matter and if you do a search on Bipolar you will find a lot of info. I cannot remember the sites names and don't have my data with me, but basically the person suffers from major moodswings, they can either last a while or could be sporadic. One moment on a high and the next on a low, sometimes lasting a week or so, sometimes not, depending. The higher the high the lower the low.

On the sites mentioned you will find treatments, etc. but it is best to seak medical, psychiatric assistance.

Good luck and Take Care.

Reply to Beyond Tired