Question
Posted by: broken | 2004/10/08

Bipolar disorder

I fear that i might be suffering from bipolar disorder. Though i have gone through a difficult time the last couple of weeks - with my boyfriend leaving for London for a year, I have for months now had difficulty controlling my mood swings. My boyfriend was the only one who supported me and never judged my unexplained highs and lows...now with him gone, i find it even harder to cope..
I am not very keen on taking anti-depressants (i was on anti-depressants for 1 year and it left me with longterm side effects).
What would be the better alternative?

Still, b, see a shrink for a proper full assessment and diagnosis, so you can be clear about what needs to be dealt with ( maybe, eg, counselling or CBT would be more suitable ) ; and then discuss treatment options with your shrink. Maybe mood stabilizers rather than antidepressants would suit you better --- again, best to be discussed with your own doc.

1
Posted by: Paul | 2004/10/08

Councelling particularlt CBT could greatly benifit in identifying the trigger thoughts and how we currenrly react to them as opposed to a more realistic approach.

Reply to Paul