Posted by: broken | 2004/10/08

Bipolar disorder

I fear that i might be suffering from bipolar disorder. Though i have gone through a difficult time the last couple of weeks - with my boyfriend leaving for London for a year, I have for months now had difficulty controlling my mood swings. My boyfriend was the only one who supported me and never judged my unexplained highs and with him gone, i find it even harder to cope..
I am not very keen on taking anti-depressants (i was on anti-depressants for 1 year and it left me with longterm side effects).
What would be the better alternative?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Still, b, see a shrink for a proper full assessment and diagnosis, so you can be clear about what needs to be dealt with ( maybe, eg, counselling or CBT would be more suitable ) ; and then discuss treatment options with your shrink. Maybe mood stabilizers rather than antidepressants would suit you better --- again, best to be discussed with your own doc.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Paul | 2004/10/08

Councelling particularlt CBT could greatly benifit in identifying the trigger thoughts and how we currenrly react to them as opposed to a more realistic approach.

Reply to Paul

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.