Question
Posted by: Nat | 2005/12/02

Bipolar and the boss

I'm not quite sure what to do about my boss. My shrinks visits are always during working hours, and 60km away from work. I always specially get the latest appointment I can so that it limits the time I take off work. I've tried to explain this to my boss, as well as the reasons for needing to see my psychiatrist. Its also frustrating, because I specially come in early to work so that I can make up the time I'm going to need to take off. I've told my boss this, and yet I dread having to go and ask him to leave early - his latest comment 'This is starting to happen too regularly now!'.

This while he knows perfectly well that I'm usually the first person in at work and that I don't claim any overtime hours like some of my other colleagues do when they decide to come in early. I'm starting to feel that its time to get a new job right now simply because of this. My meds have been bouncing me up and down this past month and his attitude isn't making things any easier.

I also can't go to his manager - long story, but they can't stand each other and it will just cause more ructions there. Our HR lady is on maternity leave. What now? This isn't the only instance where he has tried to make my life more difficult. I was seated away from my close colleagues during the yearend function, he frequently throws very difficult work my way - which I cope with admirably. But he still told me that I'm getting too many 'rejections' back on my work.

I get along with my colleagues reasonably well, except that they seem to think that my salary is much higher than theirs and some resent me for it. I've never told them what my salary is, what it was at my previous company etc. The most resentful colleague owns a house in a very flashy suburb and has just left on a carribean cruise! I live in a very middle class suburb, its all that I can afford. And the most affordable holiday I can go on, is a camping trip! I really don't understand how she can be earning less than me.

Any ideas/help?
Thanking you in advance.

As I understand the law, your bops HAS to accept any reasonable arrangements needed for your treatment, and may not discriminate against you in any way related to your disorder. Spell it out that you come in X minutes earlier on X days, which more than makes up for the X minutes you take off on the occasions when you visit your doctor.

3
Posted by: Cleo | 2005/12/03

1) how long have you been seeing your shrink for? More than 6 months is way too long.

2) is your condition improving? If not ask yourself why not?

3) what medication are you on? Check the side effects (stuff they dont usually volunteer!)

Reply to Cleo
Posted by: fin/ex | 2005/12/02

put in for your overtime and dont come in early. i used to do all those things to ---perform perform perform. you really dont get much loyalty in return. i presume you have one docs appointment a week? You need t otell your boss that this is the case and say that you will come in earlier on that day o make up for the hours (but because you are coming in early anyway you are not doing yourself any favours)
as for salary - it is NEVEr a good thing to even venture there with people, they become odd and overly sensitive. i am not sure how people know your salary but i'd be p*ssed off that someone was accessing what is private and confidential.
and re ow does someone afford to live in good area and be all fancy on less money...they live on credit.
stop worrying about the others...ps why arent you out to lunch hey? i think i wuld find it really hard to be back working for a boss...although with freelance every month is a rollercoaster and you have to be a debt collector as well....
i think thius happens at most companys - just look at the up side you get a regular salary and if you get ill you get paiud, if you go on holiday you get paid ...all you have to do besides your work is put up with petty boss and pewttier colleagues...

Reply to fin/ex
Posted by: Nat | 2005/12/02

Grrrr. And he hasn't said a word about most of the department going to lunch together at 12h00 - and they're still not back!!

Reply to Nat