Question
Posted by: Bell | 2004/10/05

Bipolar and Schizophrenia

What are the chances?!
I've been diagnosed with bipolar disorder just recently and a couple of months ago i met this absolutely wonderful guy! He is perfect, he's gentle, sweet, completely different from any other guy i've ever met but then comes the bomb - he was diagnosed with Schizophrenia 5 years ago. Why does God let this happen? I finally meet someone who i feel i can commit to and then this happens! Can this survive? I need to know because i think i've fallen in love.

Bell, the best and most sincere answer is : I don't knwo. ut both conditions are common, so it's not rare for one of each to meet up together. Such relationships certainly can survice and proesper, and you can maybe better understand each other's problems than someone who has never been afflicted in this way. Like all relationships, it needs sinceerity, caring and work. He wounds like a great guy. Maybe you can each discuss this with your shrinks to see if they have any special concerns, but I hardly think they would

1
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/10/05

Hi Bell,

Why the despair? You also have a condition. My opinion is that any relationship with the right amount of commitment will survive for as long as you want it to. Every relationship has its ups & downs. Striving to keep your relationship is hard-work & it has a nice pay-off too. Just always be honest, open, respect each other, communication is as always very important, as so is commitment too.
So, don't despair, if you are both willing to work at it hard enough, you will have a long way to go.

Cheers,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun