Question
Posted by: Charlene | 2008/06/18

Bipolar / ADHD

My 14 yrs old son was diagnozed with Bipolar and ADHD. He is on Ritalin and Risperdal. Do these two medicines interfere with each other and does he have to take them both over the weekends as well?

Making such diagnosis in a young adolescent is still somewhat controversial in some quarters, especially with the young bipolar, but if this was done by a good and up-to-date specialist this could be a useful move towards gaining control of the problems. Exact issues like whether he should take the meds over the weekend, should be referred to the prescribing doc, but generalyl I would expect so, as both problems are ongoing, so the treatment should be, too. Ritalin helps many kids with ADHD, as does Hi-Q oil supplements ; Risperdal I like as a drug in other conditions ; I haven't used it for Bipolar Disorder on its own, as antidepressants ( if he is depressed ) or mood stabilizers, may be more useful.
I agree with Sandra ; the medicine should be ongoing, and the doctor should have explained this to you carefully, and has been paid to do so. Sandra also raises the important point that drugs like this need to be taken daily, because their benefits are cumulative, rather than arriving soon after any particular tablet is swallowed.

2
Posted by: Lesa | 2008/11/15

My husband has been diagnosed with adult ADHD. The physotrist has put him onto Risperdal 1mg 2x per day and Epilin 500mg 2x per day.
My husband is feeling nauses is burping a lot. Are these normal side effects?
Should I watch out for anything else?

Reply to Lesa
Posted by: sandra | 2008/06/18

hie
i am 23 and have adhd, bipolar and ocd. he has to take the meds every day. i am on risperdal which is an anti pshychotic and concerta which is similar to ritilan. also have other meds. i have to take my meds every day as it doesnt work immediately, the medication take up to 3 weeks to start working properly. i would also sugest you get another doctor as the one you saw is not very good if he didnt even take the time to expail everything to you. good luck

Reply to sandra