Question
Posted by: cj | 2007/05/21

Bipolar?

Hi cyberdoc....Met a lady a few weeks ago and we started chatting. She herself has bipolar and suggested that i may also suffer from bipolar. My younger sister has been diagnosed with bipolar. Please help i live in a rural area and know of no shinks that can help...Any suggestions? Thank you doc. Approx 5 years was told by local doc that i had MAD. Very worried

If you were feeling fine until you met this young woman, apparently working as a missionary for Bipolars Unanimous, there may well be nothing wrong with you at all. Ideally, you need to arange to get access to a good psychiatrist or psychologist for a proper assessment --- and there should be some such services available, even in reasonably rural areas. Failing that, any competent GP ought to be able to help with such an assessmen, as there are widely agreed guidelines and criteria to use in making such diagnoses. I can't guess, because all you told me was what other people had said to you, and not what might actually be wrong in terms of your symptoms, if any.