Question
Posted by: Linda | 2006/07/21

Bipolar

I suspect that my grandchild (4 years old) has bipolar. I have read your artcile on the website, but could you give me more advise regarding this disease? My son-in-law just feels that he is naughty, but I feel that his behaviour is beyond just being that. Unfortunately my daughter does not have a medical aid and has just recently started a new job, so they are financially burdened

Answered the other time you posted this question
"There can indeed be a number of reasons why a cvhild so young is unduly unruly, but Bipolar Disorder is very unlikely to be one of them --- I have never heard of any convincing diagnosis of it in one so young. Simple counselling, and a revision of parental disciplinary procedures would probably help ; if the behaviour problems are severe, disruptive and persistent, maybe the child then should see a good local child shrink, but that will probably not be necessary"