Question
Posted by: Debbie | 2006/07/19

BIPOLAR

Is there homepathic medicine to treat Bipolar or can it only be treated with medication from a Psychiatrist? The person is 24 year old male...

regards
Debbie

There isn't a shred of evidence that ANY homeopathic o herbal remedy is safe or effective in treating a Bipolar Disorder. HomoeoPsych apparentrly doesn't need any evidence before making sweeping pronouncements on the efectiveness of remedies, and doesn't see to have heard of the Placebo response, or how to take account of it in understanding and explaining occasional responses to treatments lacking a scientific explanation for their claims

2
Posted by: HomoeoPsych | 2006/07/20

Hi Debbie

It is quite true that there is no SCIENTIFIC evidence proving that homoeopathy is effective in treating anything at all.

It is also true that for hundreds of years, the "scientists" of the day could "prove" that the earth was flat. Simple sailors that knew that this was simply not true, were burnt at the stake!

It is an extremely vexing & irritating reality to persons such as CS that it is unquestionably true that the use of homoeopathy is very popular in Europe (and has been for over 200 years!), and that it's populariy is rapidly increasing in both America and South Africa. It is also extremely widely used in both India & South America!

In Europe, America & South Africa it's popularity is increasing most rapidly amongst the better educated & more well-off sectors of the population. In India & South America however, it sems to be most popular amongst the poor, who cannot afford Western drug therapy. Perhaps they - like the sailors of old - know something our western scientists don't?

When a number of my patients report to me that they benefit from a specific approach, as a therapist, my patient's personal experience weighs more heavily in my mind than the fact that there might not presently be any specific scientific proof or explanation for that approach. I am, of course, VERY familiar with the placebo effect. I am also very well aware of the fact that up to 70% of the efficacy of psychotropic drugs can be explained by the placebo effect!

Now, quite frankly, if a patient of mine finds a "placebo" that effectively treats their symptoms - WITHOUT the often quite horriffic side effects of the drugs usually used to treat that problem - I am quite happy to accept this! That said, however, anyone that accepts the efficacy of homoepathy would argue that the impact of a correctly prescribed homoeopathic remedy far exceeds that of a placebo. Of course, if homoeopathic or other alternative approaches are ineffective in any specific case, one could always fall back on traditional drug therapies. The basic principal here would be to use a fly swatter where it is effective, rather than immediately deploying the neutron bomb.

Go well

Reply to HomoeoPsych
Posted by: HomoeoPsych | 2006/07/19

Hi Debbie

A number of my patients have reported significant improvement on homoeopathic medication. It would however be imperative to consult a homoeopath in this regard.

Go well

Reply to HomoeoPsych