Question
Posted by: Desperate | 2007/12/06

Biopolar?

I think my husband who is 44 has biopolar, showing extreme aggression, sleeps about 4 hrs max, does not eat an will only drink pronutro when he thinks it's necessry. Intimidates us, wife, daughter and son continuosly and now refuses for me (wife) to go out with th car, has confiscated cell phones when he thinks we don't need them and brags about picking up any female whenever he pleases, etc. I'm now totally at my wits end, We had him taken to Bara for four days, he promised to ge help, but has since 'fired' the phsyciatrist as he does not trust him or anyone for hat matter. He self medicates as he sees fit and smokes cannibas often to'relax'. I'm supposed to see a social worker at Gauteng Central Mental in Bertrams on Monday 10th but I don't think I'm going to be able to get there as he is pulling every stunt so that I cannot go anywhere. What are my options here, please help.

Extreme aggression isn't a feature of Bipolar Disorder, though it can occur as PART of a number of disorders, including Bipolar, Depression, and Personality Disorders. From your description, Bipolar Disorder is a possible diagnosis, and sounds like a Manioc Episode, but the only way to be sure would be for him to see someone for a proper detailed assessment, preferably a good local psychiatrist, at least a good local GP. SOunds like something didn't work out at Bara, though I;m not clear what --- did the psychiatrist there do an assessment and make a diagnosis ? If so, what was the diagnosis ? If there is some question of him being any danger to himself or others, it is possible for the psychiatrist to invoke some provisions of the law to start compulsory treatment, and you might need to discuss this with that psychiatrist, who should not simply give up if "fired" by a psychotic or otherwise barmy patient. And call the social worker to let them know that he is trying to prevent you from seeing them, and ask for more definite help