Question
Posted by: Sonia | 2004/11/17

Biokinetics:What is it?

My neuro surgeon referred me to a bio-kinetic practioner for acute pains in my right upper and lower left legs, since injections did not relieve what seems to be recurring inflammation. Please give me a bit of insight into this form of medical treatment. I haven't yet complied with his advice; would like a bit more info first. Thank you for your time.

Hi Sonia

A biokineticist is a specialist exercise trainer, with expertise in sports injuries and rehabiliation, as well as in chronic disease and exercise prescription. In south Africa, a biokineticist usually has an honours degree in Biokinetics, having studies an undergraduate degree at university, specialising in either human movement studies, or physiology.

The process is usually that a doctor will refer to either a physiotherapist (where specific treatment is required), or to a biokineticist who is then able to treat the problem by focusing on strength or exercise. Often a physio refers onto a biokineticist as well.

With regards to your problem, I'm not sure what the cause is, where the pain is exactly and what brings it on. I therefore can't tell you whether you should or should not see the bio. I think that if your doctor believe this will work, then it is certainly worth looking into.