Question
Posted by: Annie | 2007/04/19

Biochemical pregnancy

Hi Dr, after 7 years of infertility we tried the ivf route which resulted in a biochemical pregancy that proceeded to miscarry. I'm starting a new ivf cycle soon and have done research that says a previous biochemical pregnancy increases the chance of the ivf working a second time. Is this true? What is your opinion?

Dear Annie

Despite the optimism I unfortunately do caution you that the likelihood of another pregnancy does not necessarily increase purely because of a previous biochemical pregnancy. The cause of the failed IVF may need to be resolved and in this case implantation failure should be considered. There is no reason to suppose that the same would not occur again although if necessary cautionary measures are taken such implantation failures can be avoided.