Question
Posted by: Johann | 2003/01/24

Binswanger's disease (syndrome)

I require information regarding Binswanger's disease. How does it manifest? What are the causes and can it be prevented? Can it be treated?

Thank you & regards

Johann, Binswanger dementia is also known as encephalitis subcorticalis chronica or subcortical arteriosclerotic encephalopathy. The earliest manifestation of dementia is forgetfulness followed by concentration problems.
It is cause by arteriosclerosis of the brain blood vessels that leads to atrophy of the brain. At this stage there is no treatment that I know of that will reverse the process.
I wrote something a while ago about self-diagnosing dementia and if you’re interested in a copy, you can mail me at netdoc@mweb.co.za. Good luck.