Question
Posted by: cathy | 2004/09/21

Binge Eating

Hi Cybershrink,

I generally feel happy with my life yet I cant control this eating disorder wich has now pushed my weight to a BMI of 26 (from 22 in 1 year). As an emotional eater I've always known I have a problem. I live in Sandton and would like to know of a good shink who specialises with such disorders.

I also believe my general behaviour is driven by a lot of things in my sub-conscience mind - I say this because I do a lot of things I dont understand why I do them.

For example;
I dont like my size now yet I'm not motivated to loose weight, instead I eat more.
I feel I'm driving myself to self-destruction for no reason. I'm also doing an MBA part time and only pass because (thank goodness) I have fair general intelligence & management experience - I only study the night before for a final exam while I have a lot of time to spare!!!

I believe I'm just very lucky because with the little effort I put on anything, I'm a (self-empowered) successful, attractive 28 yrs old. However I can achieve much much more if I put any effort as I'm still single with no kids.

My dreams also seem to be some reflection of my state of mind (even though I think I'm happy), They're either of food or of me being chased. While I usually escape (in my dream), I now get caught and somehow I translate this as a sign of accepting defeat and it scared me.
While I know exactly what to do to improve any short comings in my life and understand the importance of such, I lack the drive to implement all this knowledge.

Is there anyone or organisation (not Eaters Anonymous) you can recommend. I believe this will be a process and dont want to waste my time and money with someone who cant help - I unsuccessfully tried one shrink before.

Please hep coz I'm really confused - with myself!

cathy, I don't recommend specific shrinks on this site, for excellent reasons, but Sandton is over-supplied with such folks. There's even an Eating Disorders unit at Tara. You've done reall well to recognize the extent to which you do have a problem, and that yo need appropriate expert help to get this sorted out.
OK, so you had bad luck in your first choice of shrink, but persist, as you deserve to get this sorted out properly, and, as you describe yourself, you sound as if you have more than enough insight and intelligence to achieve this.